Wednesday, February 15, 2012

San Antonio Fun

This past weekend we went to San Antonio for my husband's annual professional association's convention.  Typically it's a weekend of relaxation, meeting up with old friends, and LOTS of food and drinks.  This time, NOT. AT. ALL.

First, this is the week we decided to put our house on the market.  So in the days before going to San Antonio; instead of working to get ready for the trip we worked to get the house clean(ish) and ready for the hopeful sale of our house.  I decided in the last couple of weeks that Missy was ready to attend a Mother's Day out program, but because of my schedule, I only wanted her to attend once a week.  So Wednesday was her first day!  She had a great first day, and I well... SCRUBBED the house from top to bottom.

On Thursday, the day we depart for our trip, I am charged with packing mine and Missy's belongings, while the Drummerman ventured out to fill up the gas tank and go to the bank.  All this while trying to meet the deadline for depart set at 10am.  We were on the road for 10:15, not bad if I might say so myself.  The trip there was excellent.  I was thinking, we are going to have a great time!   When we arrived in San Antonio, we realized we have left jackets at home so we started out on a quest to find some warmer clothes for us to wear while on our trip.  We had warm clothes for the Missy, so Drummerman found his jacket on the first stop (just his luck).  Then it was my turn to search out something warm after what felt like a while goose chase, I found something.  It looks a lot like all my other light jackets, but at least it was on sale right?

Good Time Friday creeps up on us.  What is Friday the 13th?  I was running of off little sleep.  I just could not make myself sleep on Thursday night.  After about 1.5 hours of sleep, I finally decide to enjoy some yummy coffee and continental breakfast the hotel was offering.  Major disappointment.  I also almost barfed from the sour milk the hotel was serving.  Drummerman suggested we go get ourselves ready for the day and walk to a known Micky D's for some breakfast.  I thought, this was a great fool free plan.  We loaded up baby in tow, walked 10-12 blocks to said Micky D's in the rain where we discovered they were CLOSED for renovations.  Disappointed.  We decided to turn back 2 blocks to the doughnut store that we had passed up for Micky D's.  On the way to the doughnut store, I made the devastating decision to walk closer to the curb than what is smart for rainy days.  A truck drove through one of the puddles along the street side of the curb and splashed water up onto me and the Missy, completely soaking me.  Thankfully only getting drops on the MIssy.  I had water in my ears, dirty San Antonio street water in. my. ears.  The plus... it wasn't NOLA street water.  At this point, I boiled.  I had tears in my eyes.  All I wanted to do was eat breakfast, drink HOT coffee and pack up my stuff and go back to Houston.  With Drummerman by my side, all he knew to do was put his hand on my back and give me the "knowingly" look.   Finally into the doughnut store and they were out of kolaches, doughnut holes and all the doughnuts were cold (because it was 42 degrees outside).  I was soaking wet with street water in my ears.  Lucky I didn't go postal.  Lucky.

Finally we decided to make it back to the convention center and just get something from the over priced vendors there (who served starbucks).  I got the LARGEST cup of coffee I could.  We ate.  I set Drummerman off to his clinics and went on my way... vowing to make this day better.  I was wearing a Life is Good shirt.  I said to myself, things could be a lot worse... Life is Good.  Then continued on with my day (which did get better, but we had lower standards at that time).

Drummerman and I decided we were going to try to have a nice dinner out on the Riverwalk that night.  Hahaha.  We chose Texas Land and Cattle steakhouse.  I can not believe how awful we were treated.  I do not consider myself picky when it comes to service.  I am not ever servers worse nightmare by any stretch of the imagination.  I actually relate to servers quite well, because I wait on sick people.  Sick and Hungry people are a lot a like, they are grouchy.  Anyway, we were truly treated as if we were not paying customers.  So after a 1.5 hours of waiting for a table and a server who didn't even make sure we had water, I had enough.  I asked for my food to go, and walked out for Drummerman to finish the rest of the business.  I got a cab home with the Missy and we ended our stay in San Antonio in the hotel while Drummerman enjoyed his friends.

THANK GOD for Saturday!  We drove home.  I was so happy to get home.  They showed our house also, prior to us coming home.  We haven't heard anything from the Relator regarding the showing of which I am not to excited about, but we have to start somewhere.

It's good to be home.  It's good to be back in some sort of a routine.  Maybe Drummerman and I will plan a vacation that will be better than our trip to San Antonio.  Who knows?  Now, the events of the weekend have become quite humorous to my husband and I.  My sister and I have laughed about it as well.

Lesson learned from this weekend:  Life Happens, if it's funny laugh at it.  If it sucks, still find something to laugh at.  Life is Good!

1 comment: