Monday, January 23, 2012

Sweet weekend

This weekend was fun.  Drummer man and I both had the weekend off, the first for this year.  So what'd we do?  Called in the grandparents.

I was especially excited, we were going to do stuff that adults without children do.  I pictured myself strolling into art galleries, sipping a glass of wine, enjoying a movie and then spending the rest of the evening outside watching the stars.  So Saturday came around and about 12:30 the grandparents show up, we leave the house around 1pm.  When I get in the car, it dawns on me... we have "NO" plans for our glorious day of pretending to be parents without children, and not only that but the grandparents stated they wanted to be back home before dark (which means, they had to leave our house for 5pm).  Riiighhht. So then comes the stress... YES, STRESS on a day off of trying to figure out what. to. do.

Finally we ended up, speeding through a late lunch at an extremely awkward Greek place off of Montrose and rushing off to the Museum of Science to visit the Civil War exhibit.  All the while, texting the grandparentals to find out if the Missy was doing ok, and had she taken a nap and if not then don't let her because it's so late in the day, etc.  The war exhibit was entirely too boring, and we didn't finish it because we needed to get back to Missy Prissy, so that the grandparents could get back before dark (who didn't even end up leaving that night until 7:30pm, which I'm totally grateful for their visit).

Truth is... we are not adults without children.  From now until; I don't know, the children leave the roost we'll always be adults WITH children.  That means no more sipping a glass of wine, strolling through art galleries, leisurely lunches and enjoying an evening watching the stars... without the stressor of having children.

BUT... Adults that have children laugh more.  They count their blessings more often, because they see what they could be missing out on.  Adults with children are more selfless, they gave up the above activities for their children.  Adults with children learn something about life everyday. Adults with children do something outside of their "box" everyday.

I'll tell ya something...  Single moms, You are AMAZING.

Here's something funny.  Saturday, Missy Prissy taught Mr. Drummerman an important lesson.  She was "squatting" in the bathtub.  This is definitely how she'd rather take her bath, because for whatever reason she doesn't like the feeling of her rump against the bathtub.  Anyway, Drummerman was washing that sweet little rump and the Missy stood up only to show Drummerman that she'd "turded the tub."  Drummerman lifted that sweet little self out of the tub and fished the Babe Ruth's outta the tub with his hands.  All the while stating, "and this doesn't even bother me."   We sanitized the tub and recommenced the Missy Prissy washing.  This was totally out of Drummerman's box and he laughed the whole way through.  Adults without children, don't get to fish cute little baby turds out of the tub with their bare hands.  You can't tell me there's anything better than that.

Sunday the family went to church.  The church was having Dr. Kevin Lehman give lectures on "The Deception of Perfection," "Have a New Husband by Friday," "MomStress," and "Have a kid by Friday."  I will definitely be blogging on these lectures as we are fortunate to be able to attend them all.  I think I'm going to wait until I'm finished with the last lecture (which is tonight) so I can catch all the bullet points.

I'm going to include some really great breast feeding links.  I have nothing to blog about breastfeeding right now... but I will later this week have some information about possible changes in my career.


The Science of Breastmilk.  http://www.drjen4kids.com/soap%20box/notjustfood.htm#.Tx2-hc0TCeY

  • This is a great site because it's not got a ton of information, but smaller pieces that give Breastmilk a better chance at science rather than formula.  LOL, who would have thought?  Something God made has better science than something man made. 
For the pumping Mom.  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

  • I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Kellymom.com.  This is a website that has helped me from before I had Missy Prissy.  It's SO easy to navigate and has a lot of Evidence Based information... yep.  Evidence Based.  I usually go here for quick reference, and there are SO many extra links for further reading, when necessary.  
Enjoy.  



 

4 comments:

  1. So true... we had the first Sat night to ourselves since baby. Nearly 6 months we've waited for this great date night- no plans = stress = arguing = not the night we pictured. Lol- life with a kid is officially and forever different! Oh and we had 3 phone calls in within 4 hours... blah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate. But I agree, we NEED Mommy/Daddy time (that's what we call it anyway).

      Delete
  2. It's extremely important to have date night with your other half like once a month. It's hard to do at times, but worth it. Hubby and I made New Years Resolution two years ago to have date night once a month. We need to reconnect as husband and wife. Most of the time it ends up being like every other month. But, we've been married almost 9 years :). Thank you for posting stuff about breastfeeding. I find breast milk fascinating :D.

    ReplyDelete